This week we talk about Yahoo being cool again and shed some opinion about tech blogs locally.
Researchers have proved that dropbox can be hacked! Despite Dropbox’s Encryption and 2 factor authentication security measures, 2 researchers have reverse engineered and hacked Dropbox. Dropbox responded by saying “We appreciate the contributions of these researchers and everyone who helps keep Dropbox safe. However, we believe this research does not present a vulnerability in the Dropbox client. In the case outlined here, the user’s computer would first need to have been compromised in such a way that it would leave the entire computer, not just the user’s Dropbox, open to attacks across the board.”
Apple has acquired data-compression technology start up AlgoTrim. The company describes itself as developing “advanced solutions for mobile devices within the fields of data compression, mobile imaging and video and computer graphics.”
- Tech in Asia raises series B funding and announced plans for expanding their team! We will talk about a little later.http://sgentrepreneurs.com/2013/08/27/tech-in-asia-raises-series-b-round-led-by-fenox-venture-capital/
- Twitter launches “Conversations View” to make it easier for users to read conversations between users.http://gigaom.com/2013/08/28/why-twitters-new-conversations-view-is-a-big-deal-and-why-it-matters-for-its-ipo/
- Local Motion, a California-based car sharing start up raised 6 million and Ex-Microsoft Windows Chief Steven Sinofsky joins them on the board. Lets hope his next demo is better than the one he did for Windows 8. http://www.fastcompany.com/3016433/with-6m-raised-ex-windows-chief-steven-sinofsky-joins-car-sharing-startup
- If you are a mailbox fan and like me have been wishing for better cloud search, they have just released an update that allows better searching of mail that is not on your device.http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/28/mailbox-updated-to-version-1-5-with-cloud-searching-per-account-signatures-and-more/
- An article from business insider says XiaoMi is clobbering Apple in China. XiaoMi is the company that developed MiUI, a forked version of Android that I personally used when I was on my Samsung Galaxy S1. They have sinced started manufacturing their own mobile phones and provide users with a great experience. http://www.businessinsider.com/xiaomi-phones-2013-8
Samsung launches a tablet for kids
Tablet sales have been dropping with the market getting staurated and Samsung has found a new target market. Kids! The tablet looks drop-proof and has a simplified UI that is perfect for capturing the younger market.http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2013/08/27/samsung-launches-a-tablet-for-kids/
- Shopify lauches Point of Sales to unify online and brick and motar. This seems to be the right direction for the e-comm solution provider to breach the physical shop space.http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/28/shopify-launches-point-of-sale-system-to-unify-online-and-brick-and-mortar-retail/
Or you can also relate Ballmer to the Ballmer’s Peak
Why we think Mayer is awesome..
- User focus-ed in an age where user focus
- Appeal to engineers
- Paying a large sum of money to form her team 62Mil over 4 years for DeCastro
This is a segment where we talk about grants and other ways start ups can leverage on help provided by agencies on our generous island.
– Work Pro
WorkPro is a one-stop programme to help employers undertake job redesign, improve work-life harmony, and to recruit and retain mature workers and back-to-work locals to meet their manpower needs.
Startup of the week
Canva is a simple web app that lets you create professional looking collaterals without having to know much about design! Check it out